Thanks to Teresa Ashby for awarding me with the stylish blogger award. What a treat. Here are seven things about me.
1. I'm a mum to three grown up children. They're daughter Ann who is 31, and working on the cruise ships doing beauty therapy. Eldest son is in Exeter airport working as a fireman, but has got a job in Birmingham, just waiting for a date, so he will be coming home soon. Our youngest son John-Aled works as a clerk checking in and out the lorries at TNT. I wrote a poem about them.
Being Your Mum
My role as your mum is such a privileged one.
Three fine young people before me I see,
Each contributing to society.
Ann is all at sea, on the cruise ships,
Giving beauty treatments to the cruisers.
Iwan is off to Torquay, to make a fresh start,
Preventing fires in the nearby airport.
Aled is the top telephone man at T.N.T.,
Always there when needed.
So when you wrap it all up,
Ann, Iwan and Aled,
You’re the cream of the crop.
Xx I love you xx
2. I adore poetry. My Grandma was constantly doodling little rhymes and dittys. She wrote funny poems that made me laugh. I used to sit with her and do the same. Mostly I enjoy nonsense rhymes, but they sort things out in my mind. Sometimes I imagine I'm poet laureate for Warwickshire. This poem was published in Quantum Leap small press poetry magazine, it's about a lady who passes by our shop each day.
Scratch card Annie
Walks like the tin man,
Scratching cards, fast as she can.
If she wins; back she goes,
Another scratch card, away on her toes.
She’s got blinkered vision,
All she lives for,
Is her two o’clock scratch,
Trying to catch
The winning ticket.
How she affords petrol, to run her car,
Or even food from the local Spar.
I really don’t know it’s a mystery to me.
Runs like clockwork, scratch card Annie.
She must dream of becoming rich,
But I know she wouldn’t ditch
That scratching habit, it’s more
Of an obsession.
Scratch card Annie learn your lesson.
Save your money, buy new clothes.
But she loves the thrill, and until
She wins ‘the big one’,
Scratch card Annie will carry on.
3. I am a memeber of writelink community where writers can blog, post work such as short stories, poetry or articles, then other members comment on them. It's a friendly site, and I enjoy it a lot.
4. I am hooked on P. G. Wodehouse novels. They're full of wonderful characters like Gussie Finknottle, Madeline Bassett, Bertie Wooster of course; not forgetting the ever knowledgeable Jeeves.
5. I am qualified as a hypnotherapist, I had my own practice for two years. My first client was an alcoholic. I put him into a hypnotic state, did all I was trained to do. When he woke up, I asked, "How do you feel now." He said, "To tell you the truth I want to go home and have a drink!" He was the worst client I had.
6. I work with my hubby in our shop in the middle of a housing estate. People say, "Why don't you have a shop in town?" We're both happier to be among the people, I call it our little shop of inspiration. We meet some wonderful people, and hear lots of lovely stories. Being handy for the residents on the estate keeps us busy.
7. I love reading the tarot cards. It always amazes me how accurate the reading are. I used to do lots, but now only do it occasionally.
Thanks Teresa for my award, now I will add mine to the list. Don't feel obligated anyone.
I know we're supposed to have 15, but here's 8 to have a look at.