Followers

Monday 21 March 2011

World Poetry Day.

Today is world Poetry Day; does that mean anything?  To me it gives a chance to talk about Poetry, (though I don't need an excuse, as my blog followers know).  When I have an idea for a story, to get a clearer picture of my characters, and give me a deeper understanding of where I'm going, and what I'm trying to say, I write a poem about it.  For instance, here's one I wrote earlier.  The story is written, just needs altering quite a bit, and a character needs working on a bit more.  Enough waffle, here's the poem.  Hope you enjoy it.

 NAGGING MARINA.



Golden wood chip sprinkled around,

Evenly spaced, herbs in the ground.


Lavender, thyme, basil and sage,

Chamomile tea for calming the rage.


I strangled Marina and buried her there:

Deep in the ground, no-one’s aware.


Her constant nagging drove me nuts,

I put an end to the if’s and the buts.


                                                           Now Marina has gone forever,

Buried beneath the herbs and the heather.


Everyone loves my new herb plot,

Nagging Marina can lie and rot.

                                               -----------------------------------------------------
 
 
Photo courtesy of photostock.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - poor Marina! Loved the poem. Writing a poem to clarify a story idea sounds like a really good strategy. I must make a conscious effort to try it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne,
    Thanks for your comment. I'm not usually this gruesome I tend to write a bit fairy cake normally. It's when I was told once that my characters were a bit 'weak' that I decided on the poetry idea.

    ReplyDelete